On November 6th, Aveda The Art and Science of Pure Flower and Plant Essences was honored to be named the winner of the Sustainability Leadership Award, at the Sustainable Beauty Awards, organized by Ecovia Intelligence.
Pushing the boundaries of sustainability in the beauty industry, Aveda receives the coveted Sustainability Leadership award during the 2017 Sustainable Beauty Awards.
The Awards recognize organizations that are revolutionizing sustainability in the beauty industry. Hosted at the Paris Marriott Champs-Elysées, they consist of five different categories which received over 100 total entries from across the globe: Green Formulations, Sustainable Packaging, Sustainable Ingredients, Sustainability Pioneer, and Sustainability Leadership. The Sustainability Leadership Award is given to an organization leading in multiple aspects of sustainability.
Barbara De Laere, Global General Manager and SVP of Aveda said, “This award means a lot to all of us at Aveda – it’s an honor to be recognized for our commitment to caring for the world we live in. The Aveda mission has never been more relevant than it is today, and we want to continue to set an example and to push the bar for environmental responsibility. Hopefully others in the beauty industry –and beyond– will join us in living the importance of sustainability in the way we do business.”
Aveda integrates sustainability into all areas of its business. Green formulations, sustainable packaging and ingredients, socially conscious customer-supplier partnerships, and clean energy for manufacturing are integrated into the day-to-day operations at Aveda – it’s just how business is done at Aveda. Since its founding nearly 40 years ago, Aveda’s mission has been to change the world by helping to shape the way the beauty industry does business.
Aveda’s founder, Horst Rechelbacher, wanted to create hair, skin, and body products that were kind to people and the planet—environmental leadership and responsibility is in Aveda’s DNA.
Recent and ongoing achievements in the sustainability space at Aveda include:
• Implementing a formalized review of manufacturing energy requirements during new product formulation and production process development.
• Reaching a milestone in sustainable packaging with the introduction of a polypropylene dispensing tube closure with PCR content.
• Raising over $56 million to support organizations that directly affect environmental change and protect clean water since their first Earth Month Campaign in 1999.
• Being a founding member of the Minnesota Sustainable Growth Coalition – a group of more than 30 businesses and organizations in the greater Minneapolis area aimed at establishing sustainability leadership in the region.
• Being the first beauty company to manufacture with 100% wind power in its primary facility and the first company to sign the Ceres Principles for corporate responsibility, which call for the safeguarding of the Earth and its inhabitants. Now, all of Aveda’s products are manufactured with 100% wind power through renewable energy credits and carbon offsets.